Re: Performance issue

From: <hailey_kyle_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 00:43:21 GMT

Running bstat/estat and posting some of the results would be a tremedous help in isolating where the problem is coming from.

My first idea would be that your sql execution plans are different so your checklist sounds great for verifying that stuff. You could also dump the v$sqlarea looking and disk reads and buffer reads and comparing the dump between sites. If you find differences then run some explains and see what the deal is (or verify that there is the same amount of data as you mentioned in your checklist)

on
  http://www.geocities.com/oraperf/seminar/sql.html is a script that dumps out v$sqlarea with some stats and does sorting and explain plans

on

   http://www.geocities.com/oraperf/seminar/utlstat_dif.html is a script to diff report.txt from bstat/estat which is good to compare two sites for the init.ora parms or if they ran the same work loads to see the differences

Best
Kyle

In article <3A77B3CE.21BAB04D_at_adelaide.edu.au>,   Steve Salvemini <steve.salvemini_at_adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> We have a oracle database setup on a development platform and one on
 the
> pre-production platform, both of similar spec, but the pre-prod
 database
> is very slow. The cpu maxes out when queries are sent through to it.
 The
> link is a 100mb link from the client, so network speed is not expected
> to be the problem.
>
> The development db is probably slightly bigger in size.
>
> This is a very broad question I know, but perhaps there are several
 key
> things for me to check, ie
>
> on the apps side:
> - check the optimisation mode choose/rule
> - depending on mode, check indexes/statistics
> - test the qep in both databases for sample sql's to check results are
> the same on both the client and the server
> - check versions of oracle are the same and similarly patched
> - check operating system versions are the same and similarly patched
> - check settings in the v$parameter between the 2 databases
>
> on the server side:
> pretty limited in my knowledge here...
> - compare contents of oracle.ini
> - any ideas ???