Re: Performance issue

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 16:33:34 GMT

In article <3A77B3CE.21BAB04D_at_adelaide.edu.au>,   Steve Salvemini <steve.salvemini_at_adelaide.edu.au> wrote:
> We have a oracle database setup on a development platform and one on
 the
> pre-production platform, both of similar spec, but the pre-prod
 database
> is very slow. The cpu maxes out when queries are sent through to it.
 The
> link is a 100mb link from the client, so network speed is not expected
> to be the problem.
>
> The development db is probably slightly bigger in size.
>
> This is a very broad question I know, but perhaps there are several
 key
> things for me to check, ie
>
> on the apps side:
> - check the optimisation mode choose/rule
> - depending on mode, check indexes/statistics
> - test the qep in both databases for sample sql's to check results are
> the same on both the client and the server
> - check versions of oracle are the same and similarly patched
> - check operating system versions are the same and similarly patched
> - check settings in the v$parameter between the 2 databases
>
> on the server side:
> pretty limited in my knowledge here...
> - compare contents of oracle.ini
> - any ideas ???
>
> Thanks for any ideas

Since you are already experience slow response times it would not be a tremendous hit to set sql_trace to TRUE and restart the instance. Process the transactions for a period of time, then analyse the trace files with tkprof. You may find a wealth of information on what the queries are doing and how Oracle is handling the various transactions.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com