Re: SQL Server, Oracle or Informix

From: <gisuser_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 07:29:34 GMT

In article <3a740c3c$1_at_news>,
  "Daniel Paz Cornes" <cornes_at_navegalia.com> wrote:
> Thanks a lot for all the answers,

Sure thing.

> We are now testing ESRI ArcView and Geomedia GIS
> software, we have got a SDE trial license and next week
> I expect to test it. Do you know wich advantadges/capabilities
> offers SDE??

ArcView can act as an SDE client. Additionally, ArcExplorer (which is free), ArcIMS, and ArcInfo 8.x can act as SDE clients. SDE is powerful because it allows you to bring data stored in an RDBMS directly into your GIS. SDE performs spatial operations as the data is brought from the RDBMS to the GIS. See
http://www.esri.com/software/arcinfo/arcsde/index.html.

> My idea is to use Oracle 8i with Spatial Cartidge and Linux because
> I think it's more stable, scalable, and fast, but I need arguments to
> justify such decision and I know very little about Informix.
>
> Also there is yet another Informix database with some usefull
 information
> for us, Do you know if there is any way to connect on line an
> Oracle and a Informix databases? Can SDE get data
> from Informix and Oracle simultaneously.

NOTE: The current version of SDE will not work with Informix. Once the 8.1 suite of Arc products is released, SDE will support Informix. If you want to get your system up and running right now, Informix may not be an option. In any case, Oracle will work and may be the better choice. I think your combination of Oracle 8i and Linux is a good idea.

To answer your question: Yes, an SDE client can get data from >1 RDBMS at a time. Separate SDE connections need to be established to those databases. Beware of licensing problems, though...if you don't have enough licenses, you may not be able to establish enough connections, or have enough concurrent users.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 01:29:34 CST