Re: Restore Hot Backup to Another IDentical Machine

From: oracle <oraclehyd_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 06:39:43 GMT

What you are trying to do may not work because the controlfile as know will store the information of the data files and redo log files , i.e., the addresses of datafiles and redologs. When you try to create the datafile the address may not be same as the files which were on old machine. Maybe this is causing the problem.

n article <9575f9$k9f$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   sboucher_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I am running Oracle8i on NT4, SP6.
>
> We perform hot backup on our production server with archivelog. I need
> to practice recovery technique so I have a database setup identical to
> our production DB but running in noarchivelog on a differnet server. A
> database backup has never been performed on the test server.
>
> I am having trouble applying my backup from production to the test
> server. When using RMAN, i get an error - cannot find copy of control
> files.
>
> The names and locations of the control files are identical to
> production. Does this problem have something to do with the test
> server being in noarchivelog and the production being in archivelog?
>
> I simply want to apply backup from production to test to 1.) practice
> recovery technique and 2.) refresh the data on the test server. No
> need to be point in time recovery, just as recent as the last backup.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 00:39:43 CST