Re: oracle on raw devices

From: Maciej Kwapulinski <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 15:57:38 -0500

Nuno Souto wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:58:25 -0500, Maciej Kwapulinski
> <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl> wrote:
>
> >I thought the same as you are telling me now so I decided to create tablespaces
> >in row partitions only.
>
> May I offer a suggestion?
>
> Put the redo log files in raw partitions and the tablespace files in
> normal filesystems.
>
> You'll gain more by that than the other way around.
>
> >I assumed, that the tablespaces are the .dbf files , for exmaple :
> >system01.dbf
>
> Not exactly. The tablespaces are not the files. The files are
> assigned to a tablespace to make up its addressable disk space.
> Slightly different. But yes, system01.dbf would be a file assigned to
> your SYSTEM tablespace. It could be called anything else. It's just a
> filename, not a *fixed* name that must always be used with that
> tablespace.
>

> >I created 4 raw partitions with apriopriate sizes
> >c2t0d0s[3456]
> >
> >I created file named 'mapping_ascii', which included lines :
> >
> >/aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/system01.dbf /dev/rdsk/c2t0d03
> >/aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/users01.dbf /dev/rdsk/c2t0d04
> >/aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/rbs01.dbf /dev/rdsk/c2t0d05
> >/aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/temp01.dbf /dev/rdsk/c2t0d06
> >
> >I export(ed) the environment variable DBCA_RAW_CONFIG which pointed on
> >'mapping_ascii" file
> >
> >then I started dbassist and created database with name 'dpikpok'
> >and it created these table spaces on ufs filesystem instead of creating
> >it on raw devices
> >
> >what am I doing wrong ?
> >

> Whoa! You don't use raw files like that!
>
> When you create the database, if you want to give a raw partition to a
> tablespace instead of a filesystem file, you *write* the raw partition
> device as the file name! IOW, you'd use '/dev/rdsk/c2t0d03' as the
> filename for the tablespace file.

I did as told me:

1) removed DBCA_RAW_CONFIG variable from .profile
2) logout, login again
3)I run dbassist, and for example in the card, where I am asked about the size and
place of SYSTEM tablespace, i put /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s3 path 4) i press "next >" button,

and the answer of dbassist is :
datafile /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s3 already exisits You must specify another filename

Indeed, there is filename /dev/rdsk/c2t0d0s3, but this is a link (as it must be) to device in /devices/..... directory

I have no other datatbases, so it is is impossible that this file is used by another database
it is raw so it isn't mounted as well

What is wrong ?

greetings
Maciej