Re: oracle on raw devices

From: Maciej Kwapulinski <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:25:27 -0500

David Fitzjarrell wrote:

> In our last gripping episode Maciej Kwapulinski <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl>
> wrote:
> > I thought the same as you are telling me now so I decided to create
 tablespaces
> > in row partitions only.
> > I assumed, that the tablespaces are the .dbf files , for exmaple :
> > system01.dbf
> >
> > I created 4 raw partitions with apriopriate sizes
> > c2t0d0s[3456]
> >
> > I created file named 'mapping_ascii', which included lines :
> >
> > /aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/system01.dbf /dev/rdsk/c2t0d03
> > /aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/users01.dbf /dev/rdsk/c2t0d04
> > /aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/rbs01.dbf /dev/rdsk/c2t0d05
> > /aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/temp01.dbf /dev/rdsk/c2t0d06
> >
> > I export(ed) the environment variable DBCA_RAW_CONFIG which pointed on
> > 'mapping_ascii" file
> >
> > then I started dbassist and created database with name 'dpikpok'
> > and it created these table spaces on ufs filesystem instead of
 creating
> > it on raw devices
> >
> > what am I doing wrong ?
> >
> > greetings
> > Maciej
> >
> > Jim Kennedy wrote:
> >
> > > You can't install the application on a raw partition and you
 wouldn't gain
> > > anything by doing so. (actually make the whole thing difficult to
 maintain
> > > if you could). You can install a tablespace on a raw partition,
 but not
> > > more than one.
> > > Jim
> > >
> > > "Maciej Kwapulinski" <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl> wrote in message

> Your "mapping_ascii" file should look like this:
>

> system1 device/path/op_system1.dbf
> users1 device/path/op_user1.dbf
> temp1 device/path/op_temp1.dbf
> rbs1 device/path/op_rbs1.dbf
> indx1 device/path/op_indx1.dbf
> tools1 device/path/op_tools1.dbf
> drsys1 device/path/op_drsys1.dbf
> control1 device/path/op_control1.clt
> control2 device/path/op_control2.clt
> redo1_1 device/path/op_redo1_1.log
> redo1_2 device/path/op_redo1_2.log
> redo2_1 device/path/op_redo2_1.log
> redo2_2 device/path/op_redo2_2.log
>

> I believe it is the directory paths in the left column that is
> confusing dbassist. The left side entry should be the database object
> with the right side specifying the raw partition to use.
>

> --
> David Fitzjarrell
> Oracle Certified DBA
>

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Hallo David
I found document describing oracle parallel server 8.1.6 installation, where similar names were taken, as You proposed above. Does it mean, that I must supply these values during installation or I can do it at any moment during subsequent database creation.

The second question:
I see, that I have to create 13 raw devices, while sparc solaris allows me to "slice" disk into 8 slices only. Do I have to use more than 1 disk, or is there better solution ?

The third question, maybe a little stupid, but I would like to be sure:): Do I have to create 13 raw disks everytime I create new database.

greetings, Maciej Received on Wed Jan 31 2001 - 09:25:27 CST