Sporadic Listener Behavior

From: <gdas_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 03:40:15 GMT

I apologize if I am asking a FAQ, but I couldn't find a similar problem in the newsgroup.

I'm running 8.1.6 on NT and my TNS Listener running on the database is behaving very strangely.

At several points throughout the day, when trying to connect to the db it will return the error "No Listener"... TNSPing also fails. When this happens I check the server and find the listener to be running. Additionally, eventually, I am able to connect to the database just fine with absolutely no changes made.

Additionally, we have a batch application that logs errors to a file. This file shows periodic "TNS No Listener errors"...but the error only occurs sporadically and not consistently.

Lastly, we have some stored procedures that run periodically from another database which move data to the database with the problem listener (via a db link). The procedures catch exceptions and log them in a table. This log table is also showing that at particular points throughout the day the "No Listener" error was encountered.

I'd feel much better if I always got this error. But it's occurring very sporadically and everytime I check, the listener service it claims to be running.

I've also scanned the listener.log file and all I see is a list of connections being established. No errors or anything that draws attention.

I'm a relative newbie especially on the listener side of things and would appreciate if anyone could provide any tips for how I can go about tracking down this problem. Right now I'm not even sure it's a Listener problem or a network problem or a hardware problem on that particular machine, but I'm not sure how to determine this when the results are so sporadic.

I appreciate any guidance.
Gavin

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 30 2001 - 21:40:15 CST