Re: analyze problems

From: David Fitzjarrell <oratune_at_aol.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:07:27 GMT

In our last gripping episode "Rocr" <rolland.cright_at_pwgsc.gc.ca> wrote:
> Thanks David,
>
> I run estimate 30% on all tables every night and Compute stats on all
 tables
> on the weekend. No stale stats here.
>
> Cheers,
> Rocr
>
> "David Fitzjarrell" <oratune_at_aol.com> wrote in message
> > In our last gripping episode "Rocr" <rolland.cright_at_pwgsc.gc.ca>
 wrote:
> > > Thanks Mark,
> > >
> > > The optimizer is set to CHOOSE(if there are stats it will use
 the
 cost
> > > based mode otherwise it will use the rules based) I initially ran
 stats on
> > > just 2 tables(the ones that were involved in a query that I was
 tuning).
> > > Once performance problems began to show themselves (after 1 week
 of
 the
> > > initial stats run on the two tables) I removed the stats and the
 performance
> > > returned to the old levels.
> > >
> > > I then ran stats on the entire schema COMPUTE and I found the same
 problems.

> > > Any ideas?
> > >
> > > "Mark D Powell" <markp7832_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
 Over
 time
 (1
 times
 acceptable).

 used
 too
 data.
 The

> > Statistics cannot be run once and then forgotten. Data changes,
 data
> > topology changes and soon the statistics that were current are no
> > longer viable for the optimiser. I usually run statistics once
 weekly
> > to ensure that they are current and that the CBO will make the
 proper
> > decisions. It would appear that your database is frequently
 undergoing
> > inserts, updates and deletes thus invalidating computed statistics
> > after a week. Schedule your statistics computations on a regular
> > basis. The CBO can't function properly with stale stats.
> >
> > --
> > David Fitzjarrell
> > Oracle Certified DBA
> >

> > Sent via Deja.com
> > http://www.deja.com/

Statistics are estimated? It is quite possible that your statistics do not accurately assess the key distribution and, as such, your results are skewed to provide a "normal" picture that may not exist.

Try generating histograms. They may be the key to your performance problems.

--
David Fitzjarrell
Oracle Certified DBA

Sent via Deja.com