Re: Union query between two different schemas

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:09:52 GMT

In article <YHxd6.163013$P82.19658608_at_news1.rdc1.ct.home.com>,   "Sally Madeira" <sallym1_at_home.com> wrote:
> I have two users set up: UserFRF ans UserEOD. They both have the
 same
> tables but
> hold different information based on region. I need to do the
 following:

> SELECT Office, Region Officer FROM UserFRF.tbOfficertable
> UNION
> SELECT Office, Region Officer FROM UserEOD.tbOfficertable
>
> I get an error saying UserEOD.tbOfficertable not found (not sure what
 the
> real message was)
>
> I am doing this statement in User "UserFRF" and I am user version 8.0
 on my
> test server
> and it also does not work on 8i on the production server.
>
> Question: Can this be done? I need this to be a view for our website.
>
> Sally

sure it can be done, provided userFRF has select privilege on userEOD.tbofficertable.
Whether it is desirable is a different story, as this will inevitable results in two full table scans, and IMO full table scans should be avoided as much as possible, let alone full table scans on a web site.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply