Re: Problem with "dbstart" script?

From: <sybrandb_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 10:33:03 GMT

In article <9562iv$l96$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   briyani_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I installed Oracle 8.1.6 (release 2) on Red Hat 6.2 and managed to
> complete installation and log into the db successfully.
>
> However, I'm puzzling over starting up the database automatically
 after
> a system reboot. When I issue the command
> "su - oracle -c $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart"
> upon startup to get the database going, I don't see the db processes,
> and I get the
> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> error when trying to connect to the database using sqlplus.
>
> I then tried running the dbstart command from my shell interactively,
> and I got the response
> Database "TESTDB" warm started.
>
> which kinda tells me the script got executed and the db should be
> started up. But as the above case, I still did not see any db
 processes
> running, and get the ORA-01034 error when I try to connect to the db
 via
> sqlplus.
>
> Finally, I then tried to start the database manually using svrmgrl.
 That
> worked, I finally get to see the db processes running and am able to
> connect to the db via sqlplus.
>
> However, I still need to be able to startup the database when the
> machine reboots via the /etc/rc.d/init.d files. Any ideas what could
 be
> the cause of the problem here? Could there be a problem with
 "dbstart"?

> Thank you!!!
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Are you sure ORACLE_HOME is defined when you issue the su command? To me it looks like nothing is running at all. You could try of course to redirect the output of your su command to a file (preferrably append stderr to it too), to see whether anything happens. Of course you can also try to replace $ORACLE_HOME by the absolute path.

dbstart should run interactively or non-interactively without problems.

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA

All standard disclaimers apply