Problem with "dbstart" script?

From: <briyani_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:47:13 GMT

Hi all,

I installed Oracle 8.1.6 (release 2) on Red Hat 6.2 and managed to complete installation and log into the db successfully.

However, I'm puzzling over starting up the database automatically after a system reboot. When I issue the command   "su - oracle -c $ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart" upon startup to get the database going, I don't see the db processes, and I get the
  ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
error when trying to connect to the database using sqlplus.

I then tried running the dbstart command from my shell interactively, and I got the response
  Database "TESTDB" warm started.

which kinda tells me the script got executed and the db should be started up. But as the above case, I still did not see any db processes running, and get the ORA-01034 error when I try to connect to the db via sqlplus.

Finally, I then tried to start the database manually using svrmgrl. That worked, I finally get to see the db processes running and am able to connect to the db via sqlplus.

However, I still need to be able to startup the database when the machine reboots via the /etc/rc.d/init.d files. Any ideas what could be the cause of the problem here? Could there be a problem with "dbstart"?

Thank you!!!

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Tue Jan 30 2001 - 03:47:13 CST