Re: Mixed raw and Ufs partitions

From: Dirk Kiehne <dirk_at_liberate.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 20:35:14 GMT

Connor McDonald wrote:

> Dirk Kiehne wrote:
> >
> > A question for the experts,
> >
> > I have a development environment:
> >
> > Solaris 8
> > Oracle 8.1.7
> > Our servers interacting with Oracle
> > Two internal SCSI HDs (4.2G and 9.0G)
> >
> > I'm considering switching my Boot Drive (4.2G)
> > to the (9.0G) and installing Oracle on the (4.2G)
> > with Oracle running in raw partions.
> >
> > From my experience installing OPS into Veritas
> > logical volumes on another machine, I would need
> > 13 partitions:
> >
> > system
> > user
> > temp
> > rbs
> > indx
> > tools
> > drsys
> > control1
> > control2
> > redo1_1
> > redo2_2
> > redo2_1
> > redo2_2
> >
> > but I have only potentially 11 available:
> >
> > 4 on the "new" (9.0G): after using /, swap, backup and /liberate
> > 7 on the (4.2G): after using backup
> >
> > Could someone recommend which HD I should put them on and
> > which could reside on Ufs without affecting performance??
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > -Dirk
>
> A workable compromise given the small number of disks, could be redo
> logs on raw, the rest on a direct I/O mounted file system.
>
> HTH
> --
> Connor McDonald
> http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
> http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)
>
> "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

Thanks for the advice. Would you put redo1_1 on the 4.2, redo1_2 on the 9.0, redo2_1 on the 4.2 and redo2_2 on the 9.0??

I'm not clear on the way the switching occurs.

I guess what I really wanted to know, beside the answer to the redo log distribution was whether tools or drsys would not affect performance too much if they were in Ufs.

Thanks in advance,

-Dirk Received on Tue Jan 30 2001 - 14:35:14 CST