Re: raw partitions, some simple questions

From: Maciej Kwapulinski <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 16:50:29 -0500

sybrandb_at_my-deja.com wrote:

> In article <3A76EB8F.B10218F2_at_univ.gda.pl>,
> Maciej Kwapulinski <pikpok_at_univ.gda.pl> wrote:
> > I'm new to oracle (although a few years experience with unixes)
> > I have a question about raw partitions.
> > I don't understand when do we use them during the oracle instalation
> > process.
> > Can I install everything on raw partition, I mean all oracle tree, for
> > example :
> > ..../oracle/admin
> > ..../oracle/doc
> > ..../oracle/jre
> > ...../oracle/oradata
> > ...../oracle/oui
> > ....../oracle/product
> >
> > or I use it only while creating new databases, while the rest is
> > installed in ufs filesystem
> >
> > documentation doesn't answer these basic (very important) questions,
 so
> > i don't understand this
> >
> > greetings
> > Maciek
> >

> My understanding is you use raw partitions for tablespaces only,
> where 1 tablespace = 1 raw partition.
> All the rest should be on cooked ufs file systems.
>
> Hth,
>
> --
> Sybrand Bakker, Oracle DBA
>
> All standard disclaimers apply
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

This is the way I started to go 2 hours ago. I assumed, that the tablespaces are the .dbf files , for exmaple : system01.dbf

I created 4 raw partitions with apriopriate sizes c2t0d0s[3456]

I created file named 'mapping_ascii', which included lines :

/aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/system01.dbf    /dev/rdsk/c2t0d03
/aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/users01.dbf    /dev/rdsk/c2t0d04
/aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/rbs01.dbf    /dev/rdsk/c2t0d05
/aw/oracle_new/oradata/dpikpok/temp01.dbf    /dev/rdsk/c2t0d06

I export(ed) the environment variable DBCA_RAW_CONFIG which pointed on 'mapping_ascii" file

then I started dbassist and created database with name 'dpikpok' and it created these table spaces on on ufs filesystem instead of creating it on raw devices

what am I doing wrong ?
greetings
Maciej Received on Tue Jan 30 2001 - 15:50:29 CST