Re: SQL Server, Oracle or Informix

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 09:39:51 GMT

On Mon, 29 Jan 2001 17:39:27 -0000, "Niall Litchfield" <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:

>FWIW if I had to spec a top system it would be a sun/solaris combo. But for
>many, many enterprises ISTM that NT will scale perfectly adequately.

Again, I sincerely doubt that last bit. What I've found is that IT managers will *make* it look "cheaper" once sold to the "NT is cheaper" idea. I've never seen *one* case where it was really scalable(sp?) or cheaper to run NT than a UNIX box.

> Also
>2000 is to NT as 98 is to 3.1 so the original posters conflating of those
>two somewhat annoyed me as well.

I think the jury is still out on W2K. It looks promising, but if MS continues to insist on shoving everything inside it, it's gonna be a problem...

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_bigpond.net.au.nospam
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/the_Den/index.html Received on Tue Jan 30 2001 - 03:39:51 CST