Re: ORA-12638 credential retrieval error

From: Rick Wessman <rwessman_at_rochester.rr.com>
Date: 29 Jan 2001 10:25:16 -0500

Apologies for the terseness of the message (I wrote it). However, there is no way to know exactly what the problem is because Oracle supports quite a few authentication methods.

                                    Rick

"Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> writes:

> Andre Probst <ap_at_andre-probst.de> wrote in message
> > I tried the Script as well, it didn't work too.
> >
> > The error ist not dependent from the version, 8.1.6 doesn't function as
> > well.
> >
> > A consultant told me that it could be the ASUS Motherboard ( 1 Year old),
> > which may be not certified for W2K.
> > I flashed the BIOS with no result concerning the DB Installation.
> >
> > We've bought no support from Oracle, because normally there are no
 problems.
> > 1000 $ per year just for one question is too much.
> >
> > Could anyone search in the support DB for me for ORA-12638 ?
> >

> I could do, Andre -but so could you. Technet.oracle.com requires you to
> register, but registration is free and instant, and you can then search for
> ORA-12638, at which time you will discover that ALL (or nearly all) error
> messages are listed there, together with their causes and suggested actions.
>
> Oh, go on then... Just this once, I'll search for you (though some might
> consider $1000 for the one question that stops your organisation in its
> tracks good value. Support is like backups in that respect -utterly
> pointless... until you need them).
>
> In this case, you have a stunning explanation thus:
>
> ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed
> Cause: The authentication service failed to retrieve the credentials of a
> user.
> Action: Enable tracing to determine the exact error.
>
> So that's clear then, is it?!
>
> I suspect you could do worse than investigate sqlnet.ora, listener.ora,
> local ORA_DBA group memberships and so on.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>

> > Thanks a lot ,Andre
> >
> > "Spencer" <spencerp_at_swbell.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > You could try running the 'create database' script (saved from
> > > DBAssitant) from the server manager command prompt.
> > >
> > > Oracle version 8.1.5 is not certified for Windows 2000 Server.
> > > Only versions 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 are certified for Windows 2000.
> > >
> > > Current certification and support information is available from
> > > the Oracle support site http://support.oracle.com/ Note: you
> > > will need your support identifier to register.
> > >
> > > "Andre Probst" <ap_at_andre-probst.de> wrote in message
 Server.

--
                                Thanks,
                                Rick

     The opinions expressed above are mine and do not necessarily reflect
                         those of Oracle Corporation.