Re: SQL Server, Oracle or Informix

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 20:09:13 GMT

In article <3a7167c7$1_at_news>,
  "Daniel Paz Cornes" <cornes_at_navegalia.com> wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm looking for arguments to take a decission about what RDMBS to use
 for a
> GIS (Geographic Information System). Database has to store large
 objects
> like
> images, satellite photograph, digitalized maps...
> I estimate data volume will be about 10-15 Gbytes.
> Security and stability are important but not critical, we plan to use
 Linux
> or Win NT
> on Intel as platform. RAID controllers, etc...
>
> We are in doubt for SQL Server, Informix or Oracle.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Daniel Paz,,

Based on your statements, Oracle running on NT on a reasonably sized HP server could serve you well. The smaller HP (Intel) servers with their redundant components are very nice to work with. NT (4.0 or 5.0/2000) should be sufficient. Oracle can provide most of your security needs.

Linux could work well. For this size of database, OS selection on the server could/should be selected based on the expertice of the support staff. Obviously, if Linux is the perferred OS, go for it.

Oracle has good features for handling the type of data ( geographic and binary images). It runs on many OS's such as NT, Linux, Solaris to name a few. If your system goes (that never happens), you can move the database to the other servers/OS.

Obviously, most of this group are biased to Oracle. My small experience with SQLServer would reject it. At present (and we can only evaluate the present), SQLServer is missing features which IMHO make it a good rdbms.

Oracle does have a robust set of functionality and associated tools eg OracleReports, OracleForms and ties to languages eg C++ and Java to make it a very good choice. Oracle biggest downfall at this time is cost (generally considered more expensive) and its learning curve (the database has more features and tools and setting to tinker with).

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com