Locally managed tablespaces. Safe?

From: <tgphelps50_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:23:22 GMT

I'm considering experimentation with locally managed tablespaces (LMTs). I've read most of what's available in the standard documentation, but I'm wondering if there are any contrary opinions on this feature.

What particularly worries me is that there is no redo for the bitmaps that track the allocations. The fact that Oracle provides the dbms_space_admin package might be construed as evidence that problems really do arise.

Am I wrong to think that a server crash (or other problem) might leave the bitmaps hosed, and needing repair, resulting in data loss or corruption?

Has anyone actually had any bad experiences with LMTs that (s)he'd like to share? Should I be leery of LMTs, or "just go for it"?

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Sun Jan 28 2001 - 13:23:22 CST