Re: Help restoring my database

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:22:33 +1100

Two things spring to mind: you appear to have an expdat.dmp, which presumably is an export of the database you did earlier. That can still be imported into your new database, and that would be the simplest thing to do. Maybe, however, it wasn't an ENTIRE database export, so...

The second thing is that you appear to have a complete set of control files, datafiles and redo logs (I obviously can't tell if any are missing). Since there is no mention of archives, I presume these files were copied cold, and are thus internally consistent and useable. So you've got a database there -you just need to start it up. If this is on NT or the likes, you'll need to create a service for the old database first -but this is all getting way out of my league, since I've never used the Personal Edition, only the Enterprise. So, normally I'd tell you to use oradim to create the new service, but I don't have a clue whether such advice holds for the Personal Edition.

The only real nasty I see heading over the hill is that the Control File you have will have pointers to where the files *used* to be. You'll probably restore them to somewhere else just to get the thing back up and running -so you'll have to get the database mounted first and issue a whole heap of 'rename file' commands to re-jig the control file so it points to the new locations.

Once you've got the old one up and running, you can do a fresh entire database export, and import into the new one.

I can't help you with the details, I'm afraid, because of the Personal Edition issues... but I think my essential point is "don't panic", because it seems that with a bit of work, and not very much at that, you should get everything back OK.

Regards
HJR Magnus S. Petersen <magnus_at_post.olivant.fo> wrote in message news:3a72f25f_at_news.olivant.fo...
> I have been very unlucky in connection with upgrading from Oracle 8
 Personal