Re: ORA-12638 credential retrieval error

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:13:07 +1100

Andre Probst <ap_at_andre-probst.de> wrote in message news:94vb19$ncp$1_at_Merlin.et.bocholt.fh-gelsenkirchen.de...
> I tried the Script as well, it didn't work too.
>
> The error ist not dependent from the version, 8.1.6 doesn't function as
> well.
>
> A consultant told me that it could be the ASUS Motherboard ( 1 Year old),
> which may be not certified for W2K.
> I flashed the BIOS with no result concerning the DB Installation.
>
> We've bought no support from Oracle, because normally there are no
 problems.
> 1000 $ per year just for one question is too much.
>
> Could anyone search in the support DB for me for ORA-12638 ?

I could do, Andre -but so could you. Technet.oracle.com requires you to register, but registration is free and instant, and you can then search for ORA-12638, at which time you will discover that ALL (or nearly all) error messages are listed there, together with their causes and suggested actions.

Oh, go on then... Just this once, I'll search for you (though some might consider $1000 for the one question that stops your organisation in its tracks good value. Support is like backups in that respect -utterly pointless... until you need them).

In this case, you have a stunning explanation thus:

ORA-12638: Credential retrieval failed
Cause: The authentication service failed to retrieve the credentials of a user.
Action: Enable tracing to determine the exact error.

So that's clear then, is it?!

I suspect you could do worse than investigate sqlnet.ora, listener.ora, local ORA_DBA group memberships and so on.

Regards
HJR
> Thanks a lot ,Andre
>
> "Spencer" <spencerp_at_swbell.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > You could try running the 'create database' script (saved from
> > DBAssitant) from the server manager command prompt.
> >
> > Oracle version 8.1.5 is not certified for Windows 2000 Server.
> > Only versions 8.1.6 and 8.1.7 are certified for Windows 2000.
> >
> > Current certification and support information is available from
> > the Oracle support site http://support.oracle.com/ Note: you
> > will need your support identifier to register.
> >
> > "Andre Probst" <ap_at_andre-probst.de> wrote in message
> > > We are migrating from NT to Win2000. Whereas Oracle 8.1.5 works fine
 under
> > > NT (and so does 8.1.6), it is not installabe under Windows 2000
 Server.