Re: kill session doesn't work?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2001 10:05:21 +1100

I'm assuming the extra spaces in what you typed here were a mistake -because if not, the statement won't work. It needs to read 'alter system kill session ' 596,21456' ; with no spaces. You're supplying a literal string, after all.

Second, how do you know the session isn't really dead? What I mean is that after you issue the kill session command, the affected session won't notice a thing -until the *next* time it tries to do something as trivial as a select. If the session just sits there, it looks like its still connected, but really it isn't.

Third, test the kill on the session, not by simply re-querying v$session. I've known v$session to take a good few minutes to realise that a session has disappeared. The other session, however, will notice it immediately (provided it actually tries to do some work).

Since it is Unix, there is always the kill -9 command at the o/s level, but that's definitely NOT recommended as your first port of call. Let's see what's going on with the alter system command before using that as a last resort.

Let us know how you get on (with screen output if need be).

Regards