Re: Newbie

From: wysza <awysza_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 01:18:15 GMT

> The best training I know if is Oracle Support - you get get to see tons
> of real world problems in a short period of time and get paid for it.

That's very good idea but not as a 'first step'. First, I would suggest: think of a project. Not very big project, but something that can grow with your knowledge. Build your own database, couple of tables and then try to add procedures, other objects,... [here goes your imagination]... Try to use it as a user and try to protect it as DBA. Create your own "production environment" and try to take care of it and support it. Make it grow. Read DBA book and try to figure out how your database works..... And then .... you'll be so deep in it that nobody will be able to get you out of it.

good luck
wyszsa

<hailey_kyle_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:94ss5p$hbn$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> The best training I know if is Oracle Support - you get get to see tons
> of real world problems in a short period of time and get paid for it.
> You would learn much more about real DBA work than any training
> program. I've been interviewing DBAs to hire and the certification
> thing is turning out to be more of a red flag than anything else. The
> people I've met who did the certs (not all of course) tend to know the
> test answers but have no idea how things actually work, and when the
> database goes down and doesn't recover like the books said it would, it
> makes a world of difference to understand what the possibilities are.
>
> Best
> Kyle
>
> In article <3a71d00c_2_at_news1.prserv.net>,
> "Dan" <trust_at_mysincere.com> wrote:
> > I am considering a career change and am very interested in the OCP
 DBA path.
> > I am a newbie. No Oracle experience (or access to a server/database)
 and no
> > real programming or network experience. Can someone offer some
 guidance on
> > how to get started? How to obtain experience, best training (Oracle
 U.,