slow update, what to look for?

From: <hegyvari_at_ardents.hu>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 19:08:32 +0100

Greetings,

We are developing for the web using Oracle 8 on a Linux as a database server. One thing I have noticed and it really is frustrating by now, that update statements run much slower than any select or insert statements. This is more than true when I try to use correlated updates. I understand that update is the most resource-consuming of the lot, but I suspect that there can be things done around the rollback segments or anywhere else to tune the database. The current configuration is basically the default (I accepted the option of creating the database during install). I have changed the init...ora file to the LARGE default values, but so for that was all. I searched the manuals for some practical advice, but found none. Could someone please enlighten me what I should try to change on my Oracle setup to get better results? The server has 512M RAM, fast disks, fast processor, it should not be a problem.

Any info is highly appreciated,

Hegyvari Krisztian Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 12:08:32 CST