Re: dba_free_space missing a tablespace???

From: <hailey_kyle_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 20:40:16 GMT

Hey Howard,

Its neat to see your enthusiasm but your mails come across to me as curriously charged or maybe its just your local lingo that I'm not used to. What I said is "temporary tablespaces" ie

   create temporary tablespace ...
   don't show up in dba_free_space

which is true and is a case that could fit the original posts question.

Our discussion seems to be six of one half a dozen of the other as in my saying "create temporary tablepsace" verses you "its only tempfile" which is cool (I'd enjoy more if it didn't seem charged) because it clarifies the details. Cutting hairs in this case is great and helps point out the details temporary tablespaces which have meant different things over different versions, v6 and 7 for normal tbs used for temp, later v7 for normal tbs of type temporary mainly for OPS contention, and then v8 with full fledged temporary tablespaces - no logging, no data dictionary updates, no need to backup. I'm currently refering to only to 8, which is most definitly worth pointing out; I over eagerly take it for granted.

Again I think your contributions are cool and look for mutually supportive exchanges.

As I mentioned in my first post,

>>I haven't played with the temporary files that much. Finding free
>>space in them doesn't seem totally straight forward. Currently I'm
>>using the v$sort_segment, but would be currious as to what other
>>people use to monitor the space in the temporary files.

If you have info on montoring free space in temporary files that would be cool. Have you looked into this?

Best
Kyle

In article <3a714a38$1_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,   "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> Kyle, I'm happy to clarify, so long as you don't start spouting
 rubbish
> about what proper temporary tablespace is.
>
> In 8i, it is perfectly legitimate to create 'old fashioned' temporary
> tablespace with the 'create tablespace blah ... temporary' commands
 that
> were alive and kicking in versions 7 and 8. And such tablespace is as
> temporary as the kind you create using the 'create temporary
 tablespace
> tempfile 'x'' command that was introduced in 8i.
>
> Or are you claiming that Oracles 7 and 8 didn't have proper temporary
> tablespaces?
>
> The correct distinction to be drawn is between tempfiles and
 datafiles. And
> tempfiles don't show up in free_space. Datafiles do. And to say that
> "temporary tablespace" doesn't appear is therefore simply incorrect,
 since
> temporary tablespace can use datafiles.
>
> Regards
> HJR
>
> <hailey_kyle_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message
> > Very interesting - your clarifications are GREAT, but I'm not sure
 why
> > you started off your email with such a misleading comment as:

> > Temporary tablespaces do NOT show up in dba_free_space. A temporary
> > tablespace is the following:
> >
> > create temporary tablespace ...
> >
> > Now you can create a tablespace whose contents are temporary as in:
> >
> > create tablespace foo ...
> > alter tablespace temporary ...
> >
> > this is a normal tablespace that contents are considered temporary.
 Not
> > the same thing. Creating a temporary tablespace creates the
 tablespace
> > as nologging, locally managed and temporary. Altering a tablespace
> > temporary only changes the content type. It doesn't set the
 nologging
> > or locally managed (of course making a data dictionary tbs into a
> > locally managed would be a pain). Try to create a locally managed
> > tablespace and alter temporary and you get ora-03218, as you have
 found.

> > Best
> > Kyle

Sent via Deja.com