Re: Oracle monitoring tool

From: Matthew Fuller <matthewlf_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:42:09 GMT

In article <94qgt8$gm7$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   philc1966_at_my-deja.com wrote:
> I'm NOT an Oracle DBA. I'm a SysAdmin and NOC engineer, and I
> know just enough about Oracle to be really dangerous :-)
>
> I need to find a non-commercial tool to assist in monitoring Oracle
> database - e.g. pinging listeners to see if they are responding,
> basic stuff like that. Ideally I'd just like to wrap up a bunch of
> orapings in a script and display in an HTML page.
>
> Here's the catch. The system that I have available to me does NOT
> have Oracle installed on it ... it's a Solaris for INTEL 7 system. Is
> there a free "lite" version of Oracle for this platform that would
 give
> me oraping? Is there a open source oraping equivalent ...
> anything?
> What are my options? I'm open to nearly any suggestion.
>
> TIA. Replies copied to rem-AT-macostech.com email would be
> appreciated.
>
> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Check out www.luminate.com/freemamba

This is a utility that performs all sorts of dba-ish monitoring on 1 or more instances. It does not do exactly what you're asking for, but it does have one screen that shows an overall status of all your databases, including whether or not they are up (which in order to figure that out, it had to go through the listener).

You'll need an account that can read the data dictionary of the database.... just don't use SYS.

Matt.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 07:42:09 CST