Re: dba_free_space missing a tablespace???

From: <hailey_kyle_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 06:40:10 GMT

Very interesting - your clarifications are GREAT, but I'm not sure why you started off your email with such a misleading comment as:

>>Temporary tablespace most certainly DOES show up in dba_free_space

Temporary tablespaces do NOT show up in dba_free_space. A temporary tablespace is the following:

create temporary tablespace ...

Now you can create a tablespace whose contents are temporary as in:

create tablespace foo ...
alter tablespace temporary ...

this is a normal tablespace that contents are considered temporary. Not the same thing. Creating a temporary tablespace creates the tablespace as nologging, locally managed and temporary. Altering a tablespace temporary only changes the content type. It doesn't set the nologging or locally managed (of course making a data dictionary tbs into a locally managed would be a pain). Try to create a locally managed tablespace and alter temporary and you get ora-03218, as you have found.

Best
Kyle

In article <3a709f60_at_news.iprimus.com.au>,   "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr_at_www.com> wrote:
> Temporary tablespace most certainly DOES show up in dba_free_space,
 although
> in ordinary use, you can expect the entire thing to be full of
 temporary
> segments, and thus not have any free space (and hence not show). But
 when a
> database is freshly started, and no users have started doing sorts,
> temporary tablespace WILL be listed.
>
> The following is off my test system:
>
> SVRMGR> select * from dba_free_space;
> TABLESPACE_NAME FILE_ID BLOCK_ID BYTES BLOCKS
> RELAT
> IVE_F

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Fri Jan 26 2001 - 00:40:10 CST