Re: Exp/Imp or Migrate ?

From: Mark D Powell <markp7832_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 14:08:55 GMT

In article <94p76r$8bd$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   The Tentative DBA.... <mick_rice_at_my-deja.com> wrote:
> In a couple of months time I'll have to take a production database
 from
> 7.3.4 to 8.1.6. (Solaris 2.7). I'm considering the merits/demerits of
> the two possible routes and would appreciate any advice. Are there any
> known problems with a direct migration from 734 to 816 if I chose to
 go
> that route ?
>
> I need to change the block size urgently on the existing database and
> so would like to go the export import route. What makes me a little
> reluctant is that I've little or no experience with 816 and would be
> anxious to ensure that I rebuild the database correctly before I come
> around to doing the import.
>
> I had prepared for doing this job previously going from 734 to 806 and
> I had structured the database 'recreation' along the following lines.
> I'd appreciate it if anyone could review the steps to make sure
 they're
> complete in terms of 816;
>
> 1. Create database statement defining system datafiles and redo logs;
> 2. Run Catalog and Catproc
> 3. Create additional tablespaces, datafile and rollback segments
>
> Thanks,
>
> Mick.
>
> --
> If it isn't backed up, it's not worth shit !

Building an empty 8.1.6 database the way you want it to look and then importing is a good way to go since you want to change the database block size. Creating a new 8.1.6 database follows pretty much the same procedure as installing Oracle and building a database under 7.3.4 and 8.0 so if it installs and builds you are probably good to go.

--
Mark D. Powell  -- The only advice that counts is the advice that
 you follow so follow your own advice --

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/