Re: Moving schemas between tablespaces

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 13:01:29 +1100

Eric Givler <egivler_at_flash.net> wrote in message news:5g4c6.19551$J%.1487119_at_news.flash.net...
> > Heres what I want to do:
> > I want to create a new user and give him his own
> > tablespace to store data. I want to export a
> > schema from another user and import that schema
> > into the new user's tablespace (so the new schema
> > is owned by the new user). When I try to do this,
> > the import always imports into the original
> > tablespace, no matter that I set the touser=new
> > user, and the new user's default tablespace is
> > the new one I made for him. Any suggestions?
>
> Import with show=y log=filename.sql. Modify as necessary
> Pre-create all objects in the new users schema
> Import with ignore=y
>
> I don' t understand why the objects get created in the other tablespace?
> Can't you set the quota for this user on the other tablespace to 0, then
> give this user his own default tablespace and it will create the objects
> properly in the new tablespaces? I don' t know about this because I think
> the import will try to create them elsewhere and might error out without
> doing anything.

Eeeek!@$#@

Import does NOT get intelligent when confronted with zero quotas. It bombs out with an error message saying "unable to create intitial extent because the quota will be exceeded". I posted about this only yesterday. It goes in the same tablespace, ot the default tablespace of the User doing the import *if* an exactly-named tablespace is not found. No other options. Not even (as I discovered to my cost) if the exactly-named tablespace is off-line.

At least, not in 8.1.6 on W2K.

Regards
HJR