Re: Moving schemas between tablespaces

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 09:49:57 +1100

<mikeg12321_at_my-deja.com> wrote in message news:94q926$9is$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com...
> Heres what I want to do:
> I want to create a new user and give him his own
> tablespace to store data. I want to export a
> schema from another user and import that schema
> into the new user's tablespace (so the new schema
> is owned by the new user). When I try to do this,
> the import always imports into the original
> tablespace, no matter that I set the touser=new
> user, and the new user's default tablespace is
> the new one I made for him. Any suggestions?

Standard import behaviour is to import into the same tablespace as the original object was in. And if it can't find an exactly-matched tablespace, it will use the User doing the import's default tablespace.

So the solution should now be obvious: persuade import that the original tablespace doesn't exist (anyone for an 'alter tablespace blah offline'???), then run import as a User whose default tablespace has been changed to be where you are actually after the data going ('alter user blah default tablespace xxx'). When all is done, online the original tablespace.

What you have discovered is that there is no relationship between an object's schema and it's tablespace (and I wish that all those who keep posting as though the two were the same thing would accordingly take note!!)

Regards
HJR