Re: dba_free_space missing a tablespace???

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 08:09:12 +1100

Aaaaaaagh!

What, pray, do you expect? DBA_FREE_SPACE shows only FREE space within a tablespace. If you haven't got any free space, there's nothing to report (presumably, you wouldn't expect the EMP table to report on employees that you haven't hired yet??). If you DO have free space, it reports on the free space. Used space belong somewhere else (try DBA_EXTENTS).

When you first create a database, SYSTEM is highly likely to be chock-a-block full. Your creating a new table would almost certainly have required the system datafile to autoextend, and the new table extents would have been placed in that extra space When you dropped the table, the extra file space is retained, but is now marked free. Hence, SYSTEM suddenly becomes listed in free extents.

It's certainly not a bug (well, almost certainly -with Oracle you can never be quite sure). It's what's supposed to happen, *if* you think about it.

Regards