Re: Why is NEXT_EXTENT changing all the time?

From: Walter T Rejuney <BlueSax_at_Unforgetable.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 10:28:22 -0500

Syltrem wrote:

> That is what Oracle DBA's say, and it also disagrees with what Oracle says.
> Have a look at the last document on this page:
> http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/performance/listing.htm

Wow!!!! It is like a lightbulb going on. Some of the stuff in that paper is not applicable to the type of work that I do, but I've saved that document and the next time I design a physical database I'll probably go by those concepts. I'm not sure I agree with the 160K/5120K/160M standards, but I'll probably settle on a single figure. On a basic level, though, what the author of the paper is saying makes consummate sense.

Still, I have to wonder why Oracle allows PCT_INCREASE for tablespaces to default to 50% if not explicitly overridden. It is a nuisance and accounts for at least half of the emergency fix work that I have to do on various customer databases. Received on Thu Jan 25 2001 - 09:28:22 CST