Re: fixed size

From: Brian Peasland <peasland_at_edcmail.cr.usgs.gov>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:09:26 GMT

Jonathan already gave a good answer on why the platform makes a difference. From his answer, I suspect that it also makes a difference if you are using 32-bit or 64-bit Oracle. If you examine the x$ksmfsv table, you can see that each named component of the fixed SGA is a different type (KSMFSTYP column). For example, some are "word" while others can be Oracle internal structures. These can vary in size from platform to platform.

Examining two different Oracle versions (both of mine running on Solaris 7), I see that Oracle 8.0.6 has 2,294 named components in the fixed SGA while Oracle 8.1.6 has 2,996 components. The Oracle 8.0.6 version has a fixed SGA size of 51,632 bytes while the 8.1.6 version is 69,616 bytes. Oracle can change the fixed SGA from version to version to support new features, etc.

HTH,
Brian