Re: To follow responders -- building an FAQ

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:08:10 +1100

"Nuno Souto" <nsouto_at_nsw.bigpond.net.au.nospam> wrote in message news:3a6ec219.8557813_at_news-server...
> On Tue, 23 Jan 2001 21:50:14 -0600, "Spencer" <spencerp_at_swbell.net>
> wrote:
>
> >I welcome the idea of building a resource to help deal with the number
> >of repeated questions that are posted in the newsgroup. But, IMHO, it
> >is wishful thinking to believe that providing a FAQ is going to cut down
> >the number of repeated questions that are posted to this newsgroup.
> >

> PMFJI, but I agree with this. I frequent another very busy NG with
> hundreds of posters per day. There is a FAQ for that BG, well
> publicised and in the signature line of most of the posters. Yet, we
> keep getting the same questions over and over.
> Fact of life: the FAQ won't change a thing.

Well, I sort of agree -except that it does change that sense of obligation many feel under to respond to the repetitious enquiries. If I thought a readily-available FAQ was out there, I wouldn't feel somehow obliged to answer some of the dozy ones. I guess it makes a change to the responders, not the enquirers, then.
HJR