Re: Oracle architecture question

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 03:17:15 GMT

Possible in theory. Install an Oracle database on the other machine. Create a DB link to the back end data machine that accesses the same tables. Use synonyms to hide the username and @dblink syntax. Re-create your stored procedures in the middle tier - they will access the data they require over the DBlink.

However, while in theory possible, this may not be practical - this may not work for all PL/SQL code or data types, you may see a drop in performance, and it may make maintenance of your procedural code much harder to manage. What is the problem you are trying to solve (and version of Oracle in use) ?