Re: How to store a table in memory only?

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:42:58 GMT

Even though talking about temporary tables is irrelevant to the original question, let's talk about it. Some business or technical requirements are such that we need store data for the duration of a session and private to the current user, possibly for better manipulation of the data. Then temporary tables are a perfect choice. Your inline views (or FROM subqueries as some people call) contain data that last only for that query. What if you need that data to be used for subsequent selection or manipulation yet invisible to other users? Running that inline view again? Creating a real table for it? Neither is a good option.

Imagine you write a program that creates an array near the beginning, and use that array more than once later in the same program.

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

In article <94i2f3$3rj$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com> wrote:
> There are temporary tables, as the other responder stated. The
 question
> is why do you need it. With Oracle abilities, I find it hard to
 believe
> that a temporary table is needed. The temporary tables have been added
> very recently. In 10+ years, I cannot recall when I needed a temporary
> table to complete a query.
>
> For example:
>
> select ref1.*, b.*
> from
> ( select column1,colun2,column3 from table a where <<complex>> ) ref1,
> tableb b
> where
> ref1.column1 = b.column1
>
> One can perform almost anything in the subquery that might need a
> temporary table. The above is trivial, but the concept holds. The
> subquery is very useful when trying to join a table that has group by
> functions applied to it prior to the join.
>
> --
> Michael Krolewski
> Rosetta Inpharmatics
> mkrolewski_at_rii.com