Re: How to store a table in memory only?

From: <yong321_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 23:36:07 GMT

In article <3A6CB4BC.BC3F049F_at_med.ualberta.ca>,   Myron Wintonyk <mwintony_at_med.ualberta.ca> wrote:
> Actaully, the original poster asked about a table in memory ONLY.
> A cached table is stored on disk.

A cached table before full table scan is on disk. But right after that, the data is in buffer cache.

> In addition, when you alter a table with the cache clause, it does NOT
> move it into memory. In fact, it may NEVER get into memory. What
> the cache clause does is tall oracle that when a FULL TABLE SCAN
> is done, the contents of the table should be placed at the most
 recently
> used end of the LRU list, rather than the norm, which is at the least
> recently used end of the LRU list.

Correct. I believed Jonathan Lewis added a while ago that if a table is smaller than a threshold (default 10% of db_block_buffers), you don't need CACHE it and it will stay at the MRU end.

With Oracle 8, you really would want to use the KEEP pool and stick the table into this pool.

Yong Huang
yong321_at_yahoo.com

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Mon Jan 22 2001 - 17:36:07 CST