Re: How to store a table in memory only?

From: Mike Krolewski <mkrolewski_at_rii.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:42:30 GMT

In article <20010122013843.13315.00000573_at_ng-cf1.aol.com>,   hartgeorge_at_aol.com (Hartgeorge) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I cannot figure out how to create a table that is stored only in
 memory.
> Basically I am looking for the mysql equiv of:
> create table foo(x char(2)) type=heap;
>
> Any ideas?
> Thank you- George Hart.

There are temporary tables, as the other responder stated. The question is why do you need it. With Oracle abilities, I find it hard to believe that a temporary table is needed. The temporary tables have been added very recently. In 10+ years, I cannot recall when I needed a temporary table to complete a query.

For example:

select ref1.*, b.*
from
( select column1,colun2,column3 from table a where <<complex>> ) ref1, tableb b
where
ref1.column1 = b.column1

One can perform almost anything in the subquery that might need a temporary table. The above is trivial, but the concept holds. The subquery is very useful when trying to join a table that has group by functions applied to it prior to the join.

--
Michael Krolewski
Rosetta Inpharmatics

Sent via Deja.com