Newbie connection, please Help!

From: <james_one_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 19:36:39 GMT

I need to connect to an Oracle db over the internet. I've been provided with the following info: (altered for question)

> > Version 7.3
> > IP address: 1.2.3.4
> > Username: user
> > Password: password
> > Connect string / database alias: ABC

I've set up a service name in the net 8 configuration called ABC, with a hostname of ABC using TCP/IP and the standard port of 1521. My Tnsnames.ora file looks like this:

ABC =
  (DESCRIPTION =
    (ADDRESS_LIST =
      (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = ABC)(PORT = 1521))     )
    (CONNECT_DATA =
      (SERVICE_NAME = ABC)
    )
  )

When I try to connect through SQL plus using the username and password and ABC as my host string, I get the following error:

ORA-12505: TNS: Listener could not resolve SID given in connect descriptor.

What am I doing wrong here?
I also tried putting ABC in my hosts file. Now I can ping it by name, but I still can't connect through sql plus.

Please help! Thanks to all in advance.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Mon Jan 22 2001 - 13:36:39 CST