Re: Very URGENT! Tablespace Extent Problem w/ Import

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2001 14:46:44 +1100

"Knut Talman" <knut_at_mytoys.de> wrote in message news:3A6CFAF3.DD57AA42_at_mytoys.de...
> > Dave, have you ever edited an expdat.dmp file, and then proceeded to
 import
> > successfully? I only ask because the data that is inserted by all those
> > "insert into" statements is binary encoded, and text-editing the dump
 file
> > is almost guaranteed to stuff that encoding up (and hence lose your
 data).

> > The dump file most certainly isn't a text file, and should never be
 treated
> > as such. I guess you might get away with it once in a while, but I
 wouldn't
> > bet on it as a long-termer.
>
> If I may answer: I edited the dump files with a hex editor
> (khexedit) and wrote it back. I did not change the length of
> the file, just replaced the numbers in the STORAGE clause with
> my numbers. Until now there is no error from IMPORT (it is
> still running).
> BTW, my Linux workstation could not edit the file due to a lack
> of memory, so I did it on the server.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Knut

No, that's fair enough... the fact you used a HEX editor is the thing, confirming that the dump file really is a binary encoded file, not a text one. I have students open the thing up in vi, trying to change the tablespaces in which tables are stored for example, and then wonder why the import spits the dummy -after all, you *can* see most of its contents in vi (or notepad, come to that).

Fingers crossed, eh?

5am????? Are you mad??!

Regards
HJR Received on Mon Jan 22 2001 - 21:46:44 CST