Re: Major ORA-12203 Grief

From: Martin Haltmayer <Martin.Haltmayer_at_0800-einwahl.de>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 18:14:43 +0100

> sample.world =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = testenv)
> (Port = 1521)
> )
> (ADDRESS =
> (COMMUNITY = tcp.world)
> (PROTOCOL = TCP)
> (Host = testenv)
> (Port = 1526)
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA = (SID = sample)
> )

Can you insert an empty line before the "sample.world ="? Sometimes the parsing does not work correctly if the entries are not separated by empty lines. For safety please add an empty line after the last entry.

What happens if the entry reads "sample =" instead of "sample.world ="?

Can you use the service name instead of the SID? I. e., in your init.ora of the server you must have an entry "service_names = SAMPLSERV" and the connect data then reads "(CONNECT_DATA = (service = SAMPLSERV)"? This is possible for 8.1.x.

I did not see a listener configured for port 1526. Can you just remove the lines referring to this port? There may be a difference in behaviour between tnsping and sqlplus.

You specify a community. How does your sqlnet.ora look like? It should be the same for client and server.

> >- listener.ora of the server
> >

> # LISTENER.ORA Network Configuration File:
> D:\Oracle\Ora81\network\admin\listener.ora
> # Generated by Oracle configuration tools.
>
> SAMPLE =
> (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = testenv)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> )
> )

Did you start your listener by "lsnrctl start SAMPLE"? Because you did not use the default listener name LISTENER but the listener name SAMPLE this may be the problem.

> SID_LIST_SAMPLE =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (GLOBAL_DBNAME = sample)
> (ORACLE_HOME = D:\Oracle\Ora81)
> (SID_NAME = sample)
> )
> )
>
> >- What does "ping TEST" (your hostname from the logfile) from the client
 yield?

> C:\>ping testenv
>
> Pinging testenv [x.x.x.x] with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from x.x.x.x: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128
>
> C:\>tnsping sample
>
> TNS Ping Utility for 32-bit Windows: Version 2.3.3.0.0 - Production on
> 20-JAN-01
> 12:50:46
>
> Copyright (c) Oracle Corporation 1995. All rights reserved.
>
> Attempting to contact
> (ADDRESS=(COMMUNITY=tcp.world)(PROTOCOL=TCP)(Host=testenv)
> (Port=1521))
> OK (1420 msec)
>
> >- What does "ping TEST" from the *server* yield?
> >

> D:\>ping test

I hope that you used testenv successfully here. Further, I hope that both testenv pings resolve to the *same* IP number. If not then you may have found the problem.

> Pinging test [x.x.x.x] with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from x.x.x.x: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=128

Martin Received on Sun Jan 21 2001 - 11:14:43 CST