Re: URL of a stored procedure

From: John Russell <johnrussell10_at_home.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:05:23 GMT

On Fri, 05 Jan 2001 13:50:20 +0100, Stanislaw Findeisen <findeisen_at_zodiac.mimuw.edu.pl> wrote:

>What does the URL address of a stored procedure look like ?
>

>Suppose user Scott can execute procedure Proc - what does it's URL look
>like ? If I knew the URL, I could execute the procedure directly from a
>WWW page for instant.
>

>Thank you.

Let's take a look at a real URL and deconstruct it:

http://tahiti.oracle.com/pls/tahiti/tahiti.homepage

The first part, tahiti.oracle.com, is of course assigned to the web server.

/pls/ is a top-level construct indicating the root virtual directory. I believe it's optional and can be named anything.

/tahiti/ is the database access descriptor (DAD) that defines how to connect to the database (character set, user id / password, directory path for static files).

tahiti.homepage is the equivalent of scott.proc -- the schema name followed by the procedure name. (No trailing slash.) If the procedure accepts parameters, you can include them in the URL using name/value pairs, e.g the URL might end with ?param1=value1&param2=value2. I believe if the procedure is in a package, the notation might be slightly different.

As you can see, at least 2-3 items are under the control of the web server administrator, so you'll need those items of information before you can call procedures like this.

John

PS: I chose this URL as an example because it is a useful one for Oracle users. It is a combination search engine / expert system for the Oracle8i database server documentation. Received on Sat Jan 20 2001 - 16:05:23 CST