Oracle OFA vs. HP-UX 10.X file system layout

From: Alexander Bardos <alexbrds_at_infoserve.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:52:34 GMT

I've been struggling for some time with the following issue.

I studied the HP-UX 10.X File System Layout White Paper (authored in 1995) and also the Oracle 8.1.5 and 8.1.6 for HP-UX 11.X Installation manuals.

The problem I have is that the recommended OFA (Optimal Flexible Architecture) - compliant installation doesn't seem to respect the recommendations in the HP-UX File System White Paper. Specifically, the sample mount points for the software and the database files are all located in the root directory
(e.g. /orasw ..., /u01, /u02, /u03 ...), although when you carefully
read the manual it only says they should be at the same level
(not necessarily the root level) of the directory structure.

I consider the UNIX standards/recommendations on where things should live as more essential and think that the software should live with all the other optional software in something like /opt/orasw, the config files (init.ora, config.ora, listener.ora, ...) should be somewhere under /etc/opt/orasw, and the logs somewhere under /var/opt.
I am not sure about the mount points for the Oracle database data files - perhaps somewhere under /mnt/oradata/u[01-n].

I definitely don't think it should all be in the root directory.

Any input from your own experience and/or pointers to more practical info would be appreciated.

Note: I understand that the OFA-compliant installation is functional but I don't think it is really optimized especially from UNIX administration and backup perspectives.

Thanks.

Alex Bardos
alexbrds_at_yahoo.com
alexbrds_at_infoserve.net Received on Fri Jan 19 2001 - 15:52:34 CST