Re: Port for Oracle and JDBC

From: Joseph Weinstein <joe_at_bea.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 17:17:09 -0800

Mike wrote:

> We're in the process of setting up Oracle on our server and need to
> know what port to open on the server in order to allow JDBC access from
> the outside world. Is this the 1521 port? Can I configure it via the
> TNSNAMES.ORA file, or is there more to it than that? Is there a good
> resource on this topic. Thanks.
>
> -Mike

The default listen port for an Oracle DBMS is 1521. The Oracle thin JDBC driver allows you the option of specifying what port to use, so JDBC connectivity is a non-issue. Start your Oracle instance with the default port. If you ever want to run a second DBMS on the same machine, it will have to listen on a different port. The JDBC driver will talk to either of them, from anywhere on the net. The driver makes no use of the tnsnames.ora file, so in all cases, you should give your JDBC connection code the machine name, port and DBMS SID.

Joe Weinstein at BEA, the home of WebLogic

--

PS: Folks: BEA WebLogic is expanding rapidly, with both entry and advanced positions
for people who want to work with Java, XML, SOAP and E-Commerce infrastructure products.