Re: Shutdown Immediate Command

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr_at_www.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 00:37:25 +1100

"David Pomphrey" <High.Flight_at_btinternet.com> wrote in message news:3A673845.23BB_at_btinternet.com...
> The client won't be sent a 'statement processed' message until LGWR
> indicates that is has finished writing to the online log group.

Presumably you are saying that until a client receives such a message, we shouldn't really worry about data loss.

Personally, I think we should be worried about anything that is lost which the User reasonably *thinks* was committed, and bugger the messages displayed on the screen.

> The client may issue a commit, but it will never hear that the commit
> was ever acknowledged - hence the client knows that the commit was not
> performed.

You obviously work with a set of Users who are 99.99% better trained than any set of Users with whom it has been my misfortune to work. Congratualte yourself if so, but recognise that mere mortals may have a humbler expectation: "if I click this button, I have saved my data".

At which point, being told 'oh no you didn't, because some obstreperous DBA decided to be "clever"' is not really comfort enough.

> Easy really.

Yup, terribly easy: the risk remains with an abort of losing data which everyone *thinks* (reasonably) has been committed.

HJR