Re: Database Copy/Backup

From: Dan <no_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 05:07:49 GMT

If downtime is an issue, you can copy the datafiles over to the development box while your production database is up and running. I assume you're database is in archivelog mode since it is a production database. Follow steps similar to this.

0. Perform archive log list to determine current archive
1. Place the tablespace in backup mode (alter tablespace begin backup)
2. ftp the datafile you that you have placed in backup mode over to the
development box
3. Take the tablespace out of backup mode. (alter tablespace end backup) 4. Repeat steps 1-3 until you have copied all the datafiles over to the development box
5. Take a backup of the controlfile and ftp it over to the development box.
6. perform archive log list to determine current archive
7. FTP the archive logs that was generated during the cloning process
8. Recover your database using backup controlfile until cancel.

It would be ideal to perform this when transaction volume is minimal.

Dan