Re: Database Copy/Backup

From: <jdarrah_co_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:35:01 GMT

you don't need to take downtime with the copy method. Just put your tablespaces in backup mode, copy the files, copy your controlfile to trace and perform incomplete recovery in the development env. The only dowside here is increased logging due to the tablespaces being in hot backup mode but you can get around this by using rman to copy your data files. Actually, I heard that in 8.1.7 RMAN has a duplicate command built in which presumably would do most of what I described behinde the scenes. Worth looking into if your planning to upgrade.

In article <947trd$3sa$1_at_nnrp1.deja.com>,   erwinrm_at_geocities.com wrote:
> What's the quickest way to make a copy an Oracle 8.1.6 database that's
> about 65GB? The database is running on Solaris 2.6 in a Sun
 Enterprise
> server. The copy is to be a development database in another Sun box.
>
> Ftp'ing the files takes about 1GB/minute, which makes downtime over an
> hour. Exp/imp runs up to 12 hours. Any other ways to go about this?
> tools?
>
> Tia,
> Erwin
>
> Sent via Deja.com