Re: Can I upgrade from one version of Oracle to another without uninstalling?

From: <robertgfreeman_at_my-deja.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 23:13:31 GMT

In article <3a6741a1$0$12996_at_reader3>,
  "/dev/null" <bitbucket0611_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> First of all, your right about 8i, this is not possible. I mistakingly
> thought about 8. I am preparing a migration to 8.0.6 at the moment,
 so my
> mind was on that.
> So you won the pissing contest.

It's not about having a pissing contest. It's about best practices. What you suggested was not a best practice, even if it is supported.

> > First of all I'll shout any damned time I feel like someone is
 giving
> > WRONG advice.
> OK calm down.
> Some day you will give a wrong advice, I will be there ;-)
Hey, I'm wrong sometimes. I have no problem admiting that. Hey, just look at my spelling, I'm sure I've mispelled about 1000 words! The difference is that I'm not defensive when I'm wrong. I deal with it. Just because I uppercased my NO NO NO, in a way that offended you is not my problem. If you don't have a thick enough skin to deal with NO NO NO, how the devil do you think you are going to deal with a major database crash and 500 users screaming at you? want to catch me being wrong.... be my guest, it makes ME a better person in the end.

> > This is stupid, utterly stupid. Irregardless if it
> > actually works in 8.0.x (which I doubt), it's a bad practice.
> It works, I tried it (you clearly didn't).
> I did mention this wasn't a very nice solution.
> I showed you this is documented in the manual.
Great.... I can shove needles in my body too... still, I don't have to do that the know that it's likley to HURT. You want to overwrite preexisting software, be my guest.

By the way, I did go download the documentation you referred to. You are correct that this stated as a supported path from 7.x to 8.0.x. This does apply to NT, but I can find no reference in the UNIX Oracle documents about this, so this may be an NT specific thing.

Did I user the word Bullshit? I think not. You demean yourself... :-)
> So this is bullshit, repeat BULLSHIT.
>
> > I'd personally boot any DBA who wanted to
> > do so out the door.
> Shiver.

By boot, I do not mean to say that I'd fire that person, but I'd send them for some remedial Oracle education and put them in a little corner for several months being forced to highlight in yellow every WRONG and incorrect thing in the Oracle documentation. That would keep anyone out of my hair for months. Oracle docs are not gold, or do you really think that 4 or 20 rollback segments is just right?

> Looking at the way you communicate I would be surprised if you were
>in the possition to boot anyone.

ROFLMAO.... you do offend easily. Here you are quoting a very obscure methodology (I have searched high and low in several Oracle UNIX install guides and have found no reference to this as a supported methodology EXCEPT for the one paragraph in the NT book you suggest.. well, a paragraph and a summary line) as if it's gospel? (I'm thinking this might have been supported on NT because in early 8 you could only have one ORACLE_HOME).

In fact, let me quote the Oracle8 Installation Guide for SUN SPARC. Document A70109-01:

Note: Except for patch installations, Oracle Corporation strongly recommends that software upgrades be performed in a seperate ORACLE_HOME directory from the existing installation.

Wow. Sorry if I'm not politicaly correct enough for ya. Really, I'm a pretty nice guy. I just tend to try to stop people dead in their tracks when they are so wrong that it becomes DANGEROUS. Overwriting an existing ORACLE_HOME is just that, for allot of good reasons.

> Have a nice day,
> Rob

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 17:13:31 CST