ORA-01756: quoted string not properly...

From: JustMe <Nhuan_at_Lieu.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:20:39 GMT

I just received this ERROR: "ORA-01756: quoted string not properly terminated" when attempts the following table insert into Oracle.

INSERT INTO question_detail NOLOGGING ( LANGUAGE_ID, QUESTION_ID, QUESTION_DETAIL_DESC ) VALUES ('de','2',N'Produktqualität');

Apparently, it has something to do with the special German character ä (a German Umlaut) in the 3rd value of "N'Produktqualität'" as I can do it without the error if I takes out that letter. Note: the "N" character is normal for nvarchar data type (see below for table DESC).

Any suggestion would be appreciated?

SYSTEM CONFIGURATION & ENVIRONMENT:
1. Oracle 8.06 on WinNT 4 database server with "UTF8" character set, which is Unicode.

2. Configured the SQLPlus client in the registry (in HKLM\software\oracle\NLS_LANG value = "AMERICAN_AMERICA.WE8ISO8859P1" - an installation default.

3. Configured the Win2000 client by setting Control Panel/Regional Settings/General/your (locale) location to "English - US". - an installation default.

Below are more useful information.

SQL> desc question_detail;

 Name                            Null?    Type
 LANGUAGE_ID                     NOT NULL VARCHAR2(5)
 QUESTION_ID                     NOT NULL NUMBER(6)
 QUESTION_DETAIL_DESC            NOT NULL NVARCHAR2(300)

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 16:20:39 CST