Re: What datafile size is best?

From: Mark Wagoner <mwagoner_at_iac.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 11:38:19 -0500

In my opinion, it comes down to what your data is like and manageability of the database. Smaller data files are (usually) easier to manage because you can move them around, perform concurrent backups, etc. But I had a case where one table was over 100 million rows, in which case a large data file containing just this table worked better because I wasn't constantly allocating more space.

As far as tablespaces, I would split the tables and indexes at least. I also prefer to put frequently used tables in multiple tablespaces so I can spread them across drives. Small, seldom used tables I typically lump together.

Just my opinion. A lot has to do with personal preference or data usage patterns. Neither of which have a standard answer.