Re: Can I upgrade from one version of Oracle to another without uninstalling?

From: <bitbucket0611_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 09:41:51 GMT

> NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
> Oracle has never, repeat NEVER supported the idea of installing
> a version over an existing version in the same ORACLE_HOME. NEVER
> DO THIS, EVER EVER.

Don't shout at me and RTFM !!!!!!!!!!
If you think I'm wrong no problem, but please reply in a calm and friendly manner.

From Oracle8 Enterprise Edition Getting Started Release 8.0.4 for Windows NT A55928-01
Chapter 7
Available at technet.oracle.com

Install Oracle7 and Oracle8 databases in the same Oracle home directory and have both Oracle7 and Net8 clients connecting to Oracle7 and Oracle8 databases. The figure below gives an example of this network configuration:

You can install different versions of Oracle databases in the same Oracle home provided they have different first or second-digit versions. For example, you can have release 7.2.x, 7.3.x, and 8.0.x databases in the same Oracle home. You cannot install multiple thirddigit  releases of the same products. For example, you cannot install release 7.3.2 and release 7.3.3, or release 8.0.3 and release 8.0.4 versions of the same Oracle databases in the same Oracle home; one installation overwrites the other.

Ensure that each database instance has a unique SID. In particular, be careful that you do not use the default SID ORCL for subsequent installations if you already have a starter database with the SID ORCL installed. If you do so, the services of the later installation overwrite the services of the earlier installation.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/ Received on Thu Jan 18 2001 - 03:41:51 CST