Re: What datafile size is best?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 19:28:57 +0800

Randi Wølner wrote:

> Someone told me that I should rather have a number of "small" datafiles than
> to have one big.
> I have planned to have one datafile for a tablespace of 8 G (I use Oracle
> 8.1.5 for Windows NT - but will move
> to Unix platform soon).
> Should I instead have 4 datafiles of 2 G each, or 8 files of 1 G??
>
> And what about tablespaces - I have planned to keep alle my application's
> data in one tablespace (the one of 8 G),
> would it be better to divide them into more tablespaces?
>
> Can anyone give me some recommendation on what is best (and why)?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Randi Wølner

Typically there will two main things you'll be concerned about

Once these are decided upon , file layout and sizes tend to take care of themselves.

HTH
Connor

Connor McDonald
http://www.oracledba.co.uk (mirrored at
http://www.oradba.freeserve.co.uk)

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"